Sunday, November 14, 2010

False Prophets

And they asked him, "Teacher, when will this be, and what will be the sign when this is about to take place?" And he said,

"Take heed that you are not led astray; 
for many will come in my name, saying, 
`I am he!' and, `The time is at hand!' 
Do not go after them".
Luke 21:7-8


Children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come; therefore we know that it is the last hour (1 John 2:18).

They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out, that it might be plain that they all are not of us. But you have been anointed by the Holy One, and you all know (1 John 2:19-20).
I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and know that no lie is of the truth (1 John 2:21).

"Beware of false prophets, 
who come to you in sheep's clothing 
but inwardly are ravenous wolves."
Matthew 7:15

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world (1 Jn. 4:1). For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect--if that were possible (Mt. 24:24). This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Woe to the foolish prophets who follow their own spirit and have seen nothing (Ez.13:3).
Then I saw three evil spirits that looked like frogs; they came out of the mouth of the dragon, out of the mouth of the beast and out of the mouth of the false prophet. They are spirits of demons performing miraculous signs, and they go out to the kings of the whole world, to gather them for the battle on the great day of God Almighty (Rv. 16:13-14).

The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons (1 Tim. 4:1). But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come (Jn. 16:13). We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit of truth and the spirit of falsehood (1 Jn. 4:6). The LORD detests lying lips, but he delights in men who are truthful (Prv. 12:22).

Jesus said, "On that day many will say to me, `Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' And then will I declare to them, `I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers' (Mt. 22:23).
Then the LORD said to me, "The prophets are prophesying lies in my name. I have not sent them or appointed them or spoken to them. They are prophesying to you false visions, divinations, idolatries and the delusions of their own minds (Jer. 14:14). Prophets whitewash these deeds for them by false visions and lying divinations. They say, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says'--when the LORD has not spoken (Ez. 22:28). They say, "The LORD declares," when the LORD has not sent them; yet they expect their words to be fulfilled (Ez. 13:6).  

Their visions are false and their divinations a lie. Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron (1 Tim. 4:2).They do not benefit these people in the least," declares the LORD (Jer. 23:32). How long will this continue in the hearts of these lying prophets, who prophesy the delusions of their own minds (Jer. 23:26)? They speak visions from their own minds, not from the mouth of the LORD (Jer. 23:16). Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel who are now prophesying. Say to those who prophesy out of their own imagination: 'Hear the word of the LORD!' (Ez. 3:2)
This is what the LORD Almighty says: "Do not listen to what the prophets are prophesying to you; they fill you with false hopes. The visions of your prophets were false and worthless; they did not expose your sin to ward off your captivity. The oracles they gave you were false and misleading (Lam. 2:14)".

"I am against these false prophets. Their imaginary dreams are flagrant lies that lead my people into sin. I did not send or appoint them, and they have no message at all for my people. I, the Lord, have spoken! (Jer. 23:32).  I have heard what the prophets say who prophesy lies in my name. They say, 'I had a dream! I had a dream!'(Jer. 23:25)". Yes, this is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: "Do not let the prophets and diviners among you deceive you. Do not listen to the dreams you encourage them to have (Jer. 29:8). Let the prophet who has a dream tell his dream, but let the one who has my word speak it faithfully. For what has straw to do with grain?" declares the LORD (Jer. 23:28).

False prophets and those who seek their guidance will all be punished for their sins (Ez. 14:10). A false witness will not go unpunished, and he who pours out lies will not go free (Prv. 19:5). The LORD has not sent you, yet you have persuaded this nation to trust in lies (Jer. 28:15). Therefore this is what the Sovereign LORD says: "Because of your false words and lying visions, I am against you", declares the Sovereign LORD. My hand will be against the prophets who see false visions and utter lying divinations. They will not belong to the council of my people or be listed in the records of the house of Israel, nor will they enter the land of Israel. Then you will know that I am the Sovereign LORD (Ez. 13:8-9).
The beast was captured, and with him the false prophet who had performed the miraculous signs on his behalf. With these signs he had deluded those who had received the mark of the beast and worshiped his image. The two of them were thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning sulfur (Rv. 19:20). Then I continued to watch because of the boastful words the horn was speaking. I kept looking until the beast was slain and its body destroyed and thrown into the blazing fire (Dn. 7:11).  And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever (Rv. 20:10).

There were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them--bringing swift destruction on themselves (2 Pt. 2:1). I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them (Rom. 16:17).

Lord, guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long (Ps. 25:5). Hear from heaven and forgive the sin of your servants. Teach them the right way to live (1 Kgs. 8:36). Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground (Ps. 143:10). In Jesus Name I pray. Amen.